man headache pain  silhouette portrait

Headaches and Chiropractic Care

Headaches and Your Chiropractic Clinic

Headaches are one of the most common problems addressed by local chiropractic clinics. About 90% of the population suffers from headaches at some time or another in their lives. Some headaches are occasional while others are frequent.

Headaches come in many different forms. While some people may experience relatively mild headaches that often go away on their own, others suffer from dull and throbbing headaches that can lead to debilitating pain and nausea if not treated.

While over the counter medications are the most common treatment for the occasional headache sufferer, if you are experiencing chronic, high intensity headaches, you may find the relief you want at a chiropractic clinic.

What Can a Chiropractic Clinic Do for Headaches?

The type of spinal manipulation performed at the typical chiropractic clinic is often an effective treatment option for tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck.

A 2001 report issued by the Evidence-Based Practice Center at Duke University found that spinal manipulation resulted in almost immediate relief for headaches that originate in the neck, and had significantly fewer side effects and provide longer lasting relief than the most commonly prescribed headache medications.

In a separate study – published in 1995 by the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics – concluded that the kind of spinal manipulative therapy conducted at the typical chiropractic clinic was an effective treatment for tension headaches. The study also found that people who sought treatment at a chiropractic clinic for four weeks experienced sustained relief compared to other patients who only used a commonly prescribed headache cure.

What Triggers Headaches?

Headaches can be triggered by a number of different stimuli, including:

  • Food allergies or sensitivities
  • Environmental stimuli such as lights, noise and stressors
  • Insomnia
  • Excessive Exercise
  • Changes to blood sugar levels

Approximately 5% of all headaches indicate underlying physical problems. But in the remaining 95% of the time, headaches are not caused by disease or other physical ailments but are instead their own primary problem. These are known as primary headaches and they include tension, migraine and cluster headaches.

Treatment for Headaches at a Chiropractic Clinic

People who suffer from primary headaches often can find relief at their local chiropractic clinic. Treatment options at a chiropractic clinic include:

  • Manipulation of the spine or chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function and alleviate stress on nerves in the back, neck and shoulders
  • Providing nutritional advice to promote weight loss and healthier eating habits
  • Advice on posture, ergonomics, exercise and relaxation
  • Counseling on relieving recurrent joint irritation and tension in the muscles of the neck and upper back that can often lead to primary headaches.

Doctors at your local chiropractic clinic are trained to help their patients with many different symptoms, not just back pain. Given their understanding of how tension in the spine relates to problems in other parts of the body, your local chiropractic clinic’s staff can take steps to help alleviate headache pain and other symptoms.

If you or somebody you know suffers from headaches, your local chiropractic clinic may be able to provide the relief you need.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>